Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Winter months

I looked out my frost covered window this morning and noticed the quiet stillness of the night. There wasn't a car on our usually busy road. The snow, crisp, the wind, howling. It reminded me of many cold winters in my hometown. I think about all the snow that has fallen in the course of human history. I wonder at how God created it all, including the reserve of snow still to fall on our small blue planet.
God, who lives outside of time, space and matter, creates just those things so that those of us who dwell with the framework of such an existence could live safely and behold such beauty. Even though the world carries the scars of Adam and Eve's selfish decision those many years ago, it still reflects the creativity of the Great Creator. But He doesn't let our minds slip into an amnesic state without reminding us we are not the sum of this plane of being. We are spiritual beings, created to have a relationship with God who is spirit, with a longing, whether acknowledged or not, of heavenly things. We are not avatars created by our minds eye, dwelling in a dream type state, waiting to wake up in another world where there is no evidence of our shortcomings.
God reminds us that each of us are unique and created "Imageo Dei" (created in His image). We are not animals with naturalistic instincts that developed over millions of years through careful naturalistic selection, but people who reflect the mind and Person of God. Creativity, morality, ethics, emotions, a sense of justice give evidence of God's work in each of us who belong to the human race. We each carry a stamp that communicates our Creator's hand in our life, though there are those who reject such notions.
The truth is this, God created snow that I was staring at through my bedroom window. He uses the physical world that He created, moves the wind and the waves at His command, and injects the clouds with each unique and individual snowflake, of which no two are alike.
With all the snow that's fallen just on my front lawn, which has to be in the billions, in combination with the incalculable amount that has fallen since the beginning of life on this planet, I'm led again to wonder at the magnifigence of my God, my Creator and my Redeemer.
I'll never look at a snow flake the same again.........and if you stare at one closely and you'll see a stamp that says "made by God" ;)

1 comment:

  1. Nice entry. Snowflakes are so cool. And it is impossible to add up in our finite minds how each one is unique. God is awesome eh?

    ReplyDelete